Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chapter 1 and 2 Response

Chapter 1
After reading Chapter 1, I really understood the important purpose of the Web. I agree with Richardson when he says that “the web is a place to share not just data but personal talents and experiences in new and powerful ways” (Pg. 1). Noticing how much a computer can do, it is even more amazing to see how large the capacity of their storage availability has grown. Instead of using file cabinets like we used to, we can not just store our collections on to your computer and files/folders.
As a teacher I also now see the importance of using the web in my classroom and during lessons. Each generation is being adapted to technology more and more everyday, but in different ways. I feel as if my mother’s generation can type so much quicker than a class of third grade students. While on the other hand, these third grade students know so much more about the use of computers and how to use them, when my mother hardly knows how to turn a computer on. “The people who’ll understand this best are probably just being born” (Gillmor, 2005). It is our job as teachers to bring this source in to our classrooms and get students adapted to this.

Chapter 2
Blogs are a way that everyone can communicate together at one time. Chapter 2 familiarized me with the idea of blogs, and sold my view on them. I feel as if blogs would be a great tool to use in any classroom with many different types of assignments and uses. As a teacher, I would love the idea of having a blog set up for parents and guardians of the students in my class to view and read every so often. My blog could consist of assignments that the students should complete each week, upcoming events, and even reports cards. This would be an extra optional source for these parents or guardians, knowing that not everyone has access to computers/internet. “For the most part, parents love the transparency and the ability to access class materials” (Pg. 21). A blog could also be optional for the students to use too. Students could post their homework on the class blog, apposed to carrying it back and forth from the classroom to home. Or just keep up with class thoughts and opinions by reading and writing responses to others thoughts. A blog would be a great way for students to work and practice with their reading and writing skills, also. Having to read and write responses to others opinions would keep these skills up to par and used more often.

No comments: