Thursday, May 22, 2008

Web Inquiry Project Letter

Dear Principal,

I have recently been shown and taught about a technology product on the web called, Web Inquiry Projects. This source was described to me as open inquiry learning activities that leverage the use of uninterpreted online data and information. After hearing the explanation of what the Web Inquiry Project was, then actually seeing several examples for my self, I was quite impressed. I am currently looking in to using this source in my own classroom, and was asking for your advice and insight on my decision.
I feel as if the students of today need technology brought in to their learning experience, as much as possible. Technology is a fun and exciting way for teachers to teach, and students to learn. This Web Inquiry Project is a fun and easy to read way to bring lessons and thoughts in to any classroom, and for students to grasp meaningful information from. This project uses six stages to explain what you are trying to get across to the students, in a well manner. These stages include: hook, questions, procedures, data investigation, analysis, and findings. With knowing these stages, hopefully you can get an idea of how in-depth this project takes children in to a new subject in which a teacher is trying to get across.
Students do need Internet access and computers to use a source like this, but I have already thought about this. This source can be used by myself, while teaching a lesson. I could use the source on my smart board, which will be visible for every student to see at the same time, then teach that particular lesson from that. It could also be used as a center in my room, while I am teaching guided reading, and the students are participating in different centers. Or lastly, in the computer lab as a whole group experience.
Using this idea, with a certain website and link in mind, is a way for the students to all be able to integrate technology in to their day, but also being safe at the same time. Limiting the students to viewing only these certain websites will alleviate problems with web-surfing. This should also be fun for the students. My students, and all others get tired of teaching from the book, and always using pen and pencil, so giving my students this opportunity seems like a great idea.
Please look over a few examples I have listed below so you can see and understand my side of this. This is a winning experience for us all, especially the minds of our young learning students.

Sincerely,

Ms. Kurtz

http://edweb.sdsu.edu/wip/overview.htm

No comments: